Sunday, June 29, 2014

Island Mound State Historic Site



When I began my research into the 1st Kansas Colored and Island Mound some 17 years ago - I could only hope that one day there would be a state or federal park there - to protect the site and for people to come and reflect on this very significant event in the history of our nation.

Knowing that my involvement would be impacted by our move to Texas - prior to that move I had donated my monograph on Island Mound to the Bates County Historical Society and Museum and I met with representatives of the Missouri State Parks system and turned over copies of all my research on Island Mound.

I would continue my research into the 1st KCV from Texas but others would have to step forward and become the driving force for the formation of a park and historic site. Let me tell you - they sure did.

Just prior to our move to Texas my wife was telling her friend Donna Gregory, Bates County Commissioner, about my research. This sparked Donna's interest and she along with the Bates County Historical Society, the State of Missouri, Brig Gen Donald L Scott, the Amen Society, and many others took up the cause with a vengeance - resulting in the dedication of the Island Mound State Historic Site in October of 2012. Fittingly, the 150th anniversary of the engagement.

Unlike during the dedication of the statue at the Bates County Courthouse 4 years earlier - the weather was unseasonably cold - nevertheless I could not stop smiling the entire weekend as what I had long envisioned had become a reality.

I am absolutely thrilled that the State of Missouri came through (as a result of the dedication and efforts of many people) and not only protected a portion of the battlefield but also made serious investments to the site to include a restroom, pavilion, interpretive kiosks and a walking trail...

People will be able to come here to not only learn about Island Mound and the 1st KCV, but also about the Civil War as it was fought on the Kansas-Missouri border (which had its own special type of brutality), pioneer life on the western frontier of the United States up to the 1850s and much more.

However, work remains -  Only the north 40 acres of the Toothman farm are currently preserved - I am hopeful that in time the remainder of the land significant to the engagement will come under the protection of the State of Missouri.


Just a few links to information on the Island Mound State Historic Site:

No comments:

Post a Comment